Monday, May 24, 2010

#10: Corn Bread

This recipe reminded me of the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other things".  The corn bread recipe is the only recipe in the book that does not involve yeast (the sour dough breads may not call for yeast but they utilize natural yeast as the leavening agent).  Corn bread is strictly a quick bread, using baking powder and soda along with buttermilk to get the rise it needs.  So why include it in this book? I don't know.  Maybe Peter has a soft spot in his heart for cornbread?

Peter attempts to spice up the cornbread by adding bacon crumbled on top.  While this does spice it up a bit, I'm not sold on it being an improvement.  It put the bread on the "heavy" side.  However the crumb was good but I wouldn't put it light years ahead of other corn bread recipes I've tried.

The kids did like the cornbread, however they weren't excited for the bacon on top which I thought was a little unusual since they typically like bacon.   While I can't say that I'll never make this recipe again, I can say that I'm glad I'm past it in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment