Friday, September 24, 2010

#34: Pumpernickel Bread

What a cool name for a bread!  This bread's only flaw is that it called for rye flower in the sourdough starter.  Bummer.

However neither the dough nor final loaf proved as frustrating as my 100% Sourdough Rye attempt so it was a success.  While the final loaf was a little denser than I like, the taste was just fine.  And since the recipe called for four ounces of rye bread crumbs I was finally able to put the leftover 100% sourdough rye loaf to good use.*

Knowing I'm not a huge fan of rye, it probably won't surprise you to know that I did not spring for a special pumpernickel-grind rye flour (I don't even know where I would find such a flour without paying exorbitant shipping prices for something I loath) but the coarse crumbs from the rye bread approximated the desired texture.  I used cocoa powder and probably could have gotten a darker crumb with on of the alternates such as caramel color, but it was dark enough.  While this wasn't one of my favorite recipes but it also didn't rank among the worst either.  Somewhere in the middle.

Only five breads left in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge!

* Actually, when Rachel asked me what was going on with the rye loaf in the fridge, I told her it was undergoing a complex transition from fridge to trash can.

No comments:

Post a Comment