Tuesday, September 7, 2010

#32: 100% Sourdough Rye Bread

I told my sister that I was going to title this entry "I hate rye flour" but decided later to keep the theme of using the recipe number and name.   But the truth is, I hate rye flour.  Perhaps it started when I was a youth with an innocent accident where I ground rye kernels instead of wheat berries while making a pancake breakfast for my family.  The resulting pancakes were green in color and had a distinctive, non-wheat flavor that didn't mix too well with maple syrup. 

Fast forward to this morning.  This recipe from Peter's book requires a very long fermentation period of 4 hours, followed by letting the dough rise several hours before baking.  If I started this after church, the bread wouldn't be done until after dinner.  So to speed things up and use the three hours of church to my advantage, I scurried to get it done before leaving for church.  Big mistake.  In my rush I forgot to mix in the soaker (I wondered why the dough was so hard to work) and it wasn't until it was too late that I realized my mistake.  Disgusted, I left the partially mixed dough on the counter and fled to church.

When I got home, the dough hadn't changed much, perhaps a bit dried out.  I realized that I would have to revisit the recipe to complete the Challenge so I decided to recover the dough and see where it took me.  I incorporated the soaker, as well as some normal bread flour (okay, it's not 100% rye but it wouldn't have been anyways since the sourdough barm wasn't either) and then added some more water and a bit of yeast to help out the dough.  I then let it sit a longer period of time before baking it per the recipe's instructions.  As you can see, the loaf turned out okay but as I broke into the loaf, I realized again that I DO NOT LIKE RYE.  The bread tasted okay, as far as rye goes, but this recipe is definitely not one of my proudest achievements.

By the way, did I mention I don't like rye?

No comments:

Post a Comment