Saturday, April 17, 2010

#5: Casatiello

You could make sandwiches out of casatiello without adding any toppings. No need to add meat or cheese because there's dry-cured Italian salami and provolone cheese baked right into the bread.

The dough was fun to work with. It has the consistency of brioche (it took 6 tablespoons of butter) and baking it in greased paper bags made it a little different than your typical loaf.

To bake the loafs, I placed the bags inside of a bread pan to prevent the bags from expanding in the wrong direction. The recipe suggested a #10 can but I didn't have any of them kicking around at the moment. I probably should have baked the loafs in different bread pans because the sides of the loaves that were next to each other didn't get baked as thoroughly as I wanted. It also would have helped if I hadn't cut up one loaf within 5 minutes from it coming from oven. :)

The kids loved it, our guests loved it, and the next day my coworkers loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment