Saturday, April 17, 2010

#25: Pizza Napoletana

For the past year or so I've made my pizza crusts using a recipe from Peter Reinhart's Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers. The process involves starting a poolish the day before, followed by making and retarding the final dough a few hours before baking. Overall it's been a pleasing recipe to work with.

This pizza recipe is quite different. The dough is made the day before and is similar to the Pain à l'Ancienne in both ingredients and treatment. Unlike the recipe from Crust and Crumb, the dough made from this recipe doesn't need to be rolled out but can be shaped merely by holding it in both hands and letting gravity pull it to shape.

I made this both last Sunday and the Sunday prior. The first week everything went well but the second week I ran into problems of the pizza sticking to the parchment paper and being too wet. I think the problem stems from having a thinner sauce (I added tomato paste the first time) and wetter toppings (e.g. pineapple for a Hawaiian) the second time. In addition the oven started out at a cooler temperature prior to baking because I was baking Casatiello just prior.

The family loved the pizza both weeks despite the problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment