Sunday, April 4, 2010

#2: Greek Celebration Breads

Happy Easter!

In celebration of Easter, I decided to try the Greek celebrations breads. Having no experience with sourdough barms, I decided to go the poolish route. And since my poolish recipe generated three times the quantity needed, I built two breads: Christopsomos (the round loaf) and Lambropsomo (the braided loaf).

Working with dough was pleasant enough but I did forget to incorporate the raisins and cranberries until after the dough had fermented the first time. Oh well. I mixed them in prior to proofing the loafs and the loaves turned out well enough.

The glaze consists of a water/sugar/honey/lemon-extract syrup, brushed on after baking. My only concern is that the loafs will now be a challenge to cut and eat without getting ingloriously sticky. Maybe I'll sprinkle a little powdered sugar on to dampen the stickiness. :)

One final note: the Lambropsomo recipe called for nesting three red-dyed hard boiled eggs in between the braids but I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to bake hard-boiled eggs with my bread. Maybe next Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment