Saturday, August 14, 2010

#35: Sunflower Seed Rye

I started the Sunflower Seed Rye at the same time as the Basic Sourdough Bread attempt but the outcome was much different.  Although this bread is also a sourdough bread, it called for a little yeast in the final dough, without it would have probably been as dense as the Basic Sourdough Bread.  The bread has a fun texture provided by the sunflower seeds and the rye taste is subtle enough without being overpowering.  I had fun shaping this bread and since I didn't have a French rolling pin to make the creases I improvised using the handle of a wooden spoon and it seemed to work out just fine.

The family gave it high remarks and everyone liked it.

As far as my sourdough starter, I'm starting to wonder if it would have succeeded better if I'd used distilled water instead of water straight from the tap.  While I don't have anything against municipal water, it's possible that the chlorine in the tap water could have stunted the sourdough development a bit.  Guess I'll have to experiment a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment