Saturday, March 27, 2010

#19: Marbled Rye

Last Sunday I made three different breads from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Maker's Apprentice: #1 - Anadama Bread, #15 - Italian Bread, and #19 - Marbled Rye Bread. Of the three, my favorite was the Marbled Rye, mostly because the spiral pattern in each slice was so beautiful.

When I was a youth, one of my chores was to make breakfast in the morning for my family. One morning I accidentally confused the rye and wheat containers while making whole wheat pancakes and the pancakes ended up with a greenish tint and a funny taste.

Unlike my rye pancakes, the finished loaf of Marbled Rye had a pleasant taste, with the rye providing a more subtle flavor. I used the bread in both a roast beef sandwich and later as a PBJ and both times the bread was tasty.

The kids didn't appreciate the bread as much as my wife and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment