Monday, June 7, 2010

#7: Ciabatta, Poolish Version

This is my second time with this recipe.  My first attempt wasn't as successful mostly because I was still learning the stretch-and-fold technique.  Now that I've practiced the technique a couple times, I had much more success the second go-a-round.

Ciabatta is a lean bread, consisting only of bread flour, salt, yeast and water.  Peter's technique is to mix a part of the bread the day before, let it ferment on the counter for a few hours, and then retard it in the refrigerator overnight.  I think the overnight retarding gives the bread a delicious flavor that you just don't get from a quick rise dough.

I still don't have a linen baker's couche so I improvised one using some parchment paper and a dish towel which worked well enough.  We quickly wolfed down two of the loaves with some homemade pasta.  I took the remaining loaf with me to work today to share with my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment