Monday, June 28, 2010

#38: Tuscan Bread

Making the Tuscan bread recipe proved a little tricky, mostly because of the moisture content.  The recipe calls for an overnight mash made by pouring boiled water into the flour.  The mash went well but building the final dough was a little tricky because I found the dough was constantly too sticky and required more flour.  I added at least an additional cup of flour--possibly more--before I was satisfied with the dough consistency.

The bread baked beautifully and I'm really proud of the scoring job.  I've had frustrations using the lame that I got a while back because it creates tucks that then bake into hard, pointed edges that tear the bags that I use.  However this time I just grabbed a serrated bread knife and dragged it quickly across the surface of the loaves and I'm very pleased with the outcome.

As Peter warns, this bread tastes a little bland due to no added salt.  However we spiced it up with a little butter and jam and it was passable.  Excellent bread for a low sodium diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment