Sunday, July 11, 2010

#29: Pugliese

Just hearing the name of this bread made me excited to bake it.  Pugliese (pronounced "poul yay zay") is an bread with Italian heritage, made using a bigga (a hunk of wetter-than-usual dough started the night before) and incorporates 50% durum flour in the final dough.  The recipe calls for extra fancy durum and although I'm pretty sure my pasta-making durum isn't the same, I'm confident it will taste just as good.  Similar to pain a l’ancienne, the dough is pretty wet and sticky and treated gently during shaping and proofing.  Even though working with wet dough can be a challenge, I really enjoyed making these loaves because they look truly artisanal and--in my ever so humble opinion--rival anything you can find at a farmer's market.

If you want more information about how Pugliese is made, try this link from Joe Pastry.  Just seeing his brick oven triggers oven-envy.  I sooooo want one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment